[stylist] Returning to the Past (Perfect)

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Jun 23 20:57:16 UTC 2010

Hi Neil,
I think it is a mistake to avoid using the past perfect as it is the
quickest way to get the point across that the subsequent information
occurred at a time previous to the past that the writer is writing in. I
think when this came  up before, we discussed the modern practice of
using the past perfect initially when the time focus changes and then
reverting to the simple past. That's what I do, and it seems to be
common in what I read. Dropping it entirely strikes me as misinformed.
Donna

Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:
www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill
American Chronicle:
www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org