[stylist] Info on Sites

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Wed Mar 3 06:33:31 UTC 2010

Hello all,
I am not a writing expert like all of you are since I do so much
writing for my college classes that I don't have time to write
anything for publication.  However I would like to disagree with
the view that blogs are useless.  I have a blog on livejournal.
It is pretty informal and is mostly rambling about my guide dog
and my college experiences.  It is definitely true that blogs
don't get many visitors.  Except for the people who I friended on
livejournal--which is about 15 people I think, and a few offline
friends I have mentioned my blog to, I don't think anyone reads
it.  I will also be the first to admit that since it is self
published, my quality standards aren't always the highest.
However as bad as blogs are for networking, they are a wonderful
place to express your thoughts and feelings, which could
eventually be refined and expressed in a publishable form.
Like I said, besides this blog, the only writing I have done
lately has been school papers.  However, as a Journalism major
who might consider being a freelance writer after college, it
will be a lot of fun to go back through my blog which I am sure
will be full of ideas for experiences worth writing about in a
publishable form, like guide dog issues, and advocacy.
So even though I am not an expert, based on my own experience
with blogs I want to encourage people to write blogs, just for a
fun creative outlet if nothing else.
Just my opinion.  (smile)
Allison Nastoff

the usefulness of social networking and blogs.  In my experience,
blogs are useless for networking.

>I wrote a blog for over a year and averaged maybe 2 or 3 visitors
a week.  I never received comments.  I didn't get any jobs or
meet anyone.  I "advertised" the blog on several directories, but
I don't have a Facebook page, so that was the extent of my
advertising.  Working against me as well was the topic:
pharmacology and toxicology (although I wrote it for a general
audience).

>I think there are very few blog success stories relative to the
number of blogs.  I think popularity and usefulness are dependent
on many factors, such as topic, promotion, SEO, etc.

>I also question the usefulness of blogs as writing samples
because they are self-published, and are therefore not subject to
critique or the challenges of being good enough for publication.