[stylist] First novel complete; needing publishing advice

slery slerythema at insightbb.com
Thu Mar 25 02:53:46 UTC 2010

Elizabeth,

Most publishers today will want at least 100,000 words. Shorter works are
typically only found in YA novels.

You mention that you copyrighted your novel. If that means you have paid and
received the copyright on it, you may have a hard time finding a publisher.

I remember reading an article at one time that stated publishers
automatically sent manuscripts to the slush pile when they found out that
the author had filed for copyright. A writer automatically owns the
copyright on a work when they put pen to paper (computer generate). I
believe it may have had something to do with added paperwork that they were
not willing to spend time on. If I remember where that information is, I
will forward it to the list.

You may want to check this out before you spend time trying to find a
traditional publisher. If you are simply wanting to self-publish, I am not
sure how this works.

Cindy