[stylist] disability law advice

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 24 23:16:51 UTC 2010

Sounds as if you and I agree.  I am glad I asked the question because you
told me what I had mentally thought to do in the first place.  As someone
who is interested in the field of blindness and in teaching about blindness,
I do want to see what the bus company believes and why they believe it.
Maybe, the bus company has a policy this driver had been instructed to
folow, and he simply believed it to be law.  Either way, I need to find out
what their policy says and educate them about blindness and why asking a
sighted person to move for a blind person is unacceptable.  Also, I need to
be persistent and to insist I be heard about what it means to be blind.  I
agree that if there is such a law, it needs done away with.  Not being that
knowledgeable about laws and how to learn if they exist, I wanted to bring
it up to the list because if such a law did exist, someone on here would
know it.  One thing that crosses my mind is that blind people who have not
received training in alternative techniques may not be skillful enough to
move or control balance as a result of the bus movement when walking back,
and so their policy might be useful for this person.  But, in my mind, if a
blind rider is not capable of successfully and independently riding the bus
in a safe way, he or she should receive training on how to do so and he or
she should not ride the bus unassisted if he or she is not confident enough
to do so.  My point in reference to requiring a sighted person to move for a
blind person is that blind people are thought of as helpless with such a
procedure, and therefore, the procedure needs to be changed.  Drivers need
to be trained.  Also, it seems to me that if we ask someone to move just so
we can sit there, we are saying to them that we are helpless, and this is
why I would rather say thank you, but to move to a different seat further
back.  I have no problem with sitting in the front seat as I generally
prefer it; I do have a problem with someone thinking I should sit there
because I am incapable.  Thanks for your response, and thanks in advance for
all other responses.  Anita