[stylist] disability law advice

Marion Gwizdala, M.S. marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 12:16:28 UTC 2010

Anita,
    Let me open by saying that, as writers, it is essential for us to
communicate accurate information and provide an authoritative reference
where readers can obtain the information needed to support our opinions. Now
that I have made this topic relevant to the list, I will begin with a
disclaimer. I am not an attorney; therefore, the information I provide is
meant as informal guidance only and should not be consttrued as legal
advice.
    As a guide dog user and president of the National Association of Guide
Dog Users, I have encountered these sorts of issues frequently. There are no
laws requiring blind or otherwise disabled individuals - except for those
who use wheelchairs - to sit in a specific location on a vehicle. The
exception for those who use wheelchairs is a safety concern, as the
wheelchair must be secured with a "four point restraint" to avoid the
wheelchair's shifting during transportation.
    Most providers of public transportation post a sign over the front seats
to the effect that those seats are reserved for the elderly and individuals
with disabilities. Though such seats may be "reserved", there are no
requirements that an individual with a disability must sit in that seat nor
that another patron must relinquish this seat for another, with the
aforementioned exception for individuals who use wheelchairs.
    Let me parenthetically state that these seats are often side-facing
seats that cause me to become motion sick and there is generally no place
for a service animal to get out of the aisle, creating a safety concern for
other patrons and the service animal. In adition, the first seats usually
have the previously mentioned restraints attached to the floor, a safety
concern for guide dog users whose dog may be injured should the vehicle need
to make an abrupt stop, as well as reducing the amount of floor space
available for the service animal.
    The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) seems to make it clear that we
cannot be required to sit in a designated seat. Section 501(d) states

"Nothing in this Act shall be construed to require an individual with a
disability to accept an accommodation, aid, service,

opportunity, or benefit which such individual chooses not to accept." (42
USC 12201)

    Furthermore, the United States Constitution provides that federal law is
the supreme law of the land and no entity may make a law or policy that is
not congruent with federal laws.

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in
Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the
Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and
the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the
Constitution
or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding." (Article VI, Section
1, Clause 2)

This clause of the Constitution is further supported by the Fourteenth
Amendment which states

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges
or immunities of citizens of the United States."

My personal advice is that yu file a complaint with the transit company's
customer service department. Should this issue be investigated by the
Federal Transit Authority, this (and other) complaints will be valuable
evidence. I would also send written correspondence to the highest ranking
individual with the company responsible for customer service, as well as
their legal counsel, asking for a written response outlining the company's
policy on this issue, as well as what measures will be taken to correct this
issue. If the response you receive from the company is not satisfactory and
in compliance with the aforementioned law, I would file a complaint with the
Federal Transit Authority, as well as the Department of Transportation in
the state in which this incident occured.

    I hope this guidance has been helpful to you. If you would like more
information, please feel free to write to me off-list at

President at NAGDU.ORG

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala