[stylist] Fw: For Moshe-synopsis

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 01:41:21 UTC 2010

If you're going to confine yourself to the 6-paragraph maximum your friend
recommends, you're going to have to feel completely confident that the
description of both characters is teased out to a satisfactory lure for your
editorial audience.  The most recent draft of the synopsis you provided was
leagues better than the first one you shared, but, never mind what we say.
You're never going to please every subscriber here, and there's going to
come a point when you have to feel confident in it yourself.  I've been
honest in my feedback up to this point.  To that end, I don't buy the notion
that you're good at writing a novel but don't feel good about writing a
synopsis.  If the novel is a good one, the synopsis should write itself.  If
you're still feeling cautious, perhaps you should return to the novel and
figure out what it is that's keeping you from putting together a summary
that isn't so meandering.  I think you want to aim for a synopsis that
storms through the door, grabs the reader by the shirt and says, "look,
bitch, here's my story, and you're going to like it!" LOL  I really liked
that bit I found on the Internet about your novel.  This most recent
revision is good, but I want to hear you as the author feel 110 percent
positive that this is a story youth are going to want to pick up and the
publisher would be foolish not to add to its collection.

All of this having been said, I want you to remind me of this positive
spirit when I start collecting rejection letters on my own work in progress.
It's far easier said than done, and I don't want my blunt opinions to in any
way discourage you from the notion that you are a great writer.  Ultimately,
stop second-guessing yourself.  Sit down, write it well, and then go for a
slam dunk.  If this publisher doesn't like, there are many others.

Best,

Joe