[stylist] Genres I like

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 7 18:57:44 UTC 2011

what genre is Jane Yolen?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacobson, Shawn D
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:43 AM
To: 'Writer's Division Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [stylist] Genres I like

Bridgit

Thanks for sharing.

I also like Neil Gaimen's short work (though I bogged down on American
Gods).  I read "M is for magic and liked a lot of the stories there.

Have you read anything by Jane Yolen; you might like her stuff.

Gene Wolfe is another writer who does SF/fantasy that I like.  I found the
Book of the New Sun series to be quite good and his short work can be
excellent as well.

You might find Orson Scott Card interesting as well.  As a fledgling writer,
I appreciate that he discusses his work in his books.  He also does a lot of
memorable disabled charactors.  Note that I mentioned his work with a
federationist who goes to my church and he liked the work but was concerned
about the guy's religion.  I guess he was afraid that if I read to much of
his work I would become a Card carrying Mormon (smile).

I also enjoyed Zenna Henderson's People stories.  The magic was great, but
the close walk with God that The People had was wonderful.  She also is wise
to be very minimalist in her description of God; she doesn't try to bind the
almighty in a procrustean lion suit (smile again).

I'm not much into historical fiction; I'm more into reading straight
history.  If I've read several science fiction books in a row and am finding
myself getting jaded, then I like to switch off onto nonfiction.

Once again, thanks for sharing.

Shawn