[stylist] December Telephone Gathering- Sunday the 18th

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Thu Dec 8 23:50:39 UTC 2011

Dear STYLIST and Writers' Division membership

RE: NOVEMBER-DECEMBER Telephone Gathering will be Sunday the 18th of
December 18th

We have learned that a month with a holiday near the last Sunday of the
month, our normal meeting day, is not a good weekend to hold a telephone
gathering. And so for the November gathering that we missed and for the
December gathering which can't happen during the holiday weekend surrounding
the time of our usual gathering, we are going to hold  a gathering on
December 18th, two Sunday's from now.

We will have a guest speaker, a gentleman who is a published author, a
retired college instructor and is prepared to talk to us about creative
non-fiction, publishing, grammar, editing, and more. (Read his BIO below).
Also, Mister Burns Taylor's "Wild Velvet" was the first place winner in our
2011 non-fiction category, and he is the newest member of the NFB Writers'
division.

Burns Taylor BIO:

Beginning with the publication of "Just Breakfast,: a prose poem published
in a campus literary magazine in 1967, my career as an artist has spanned
more than forty years.  One high point was the release of Beyond Blindness,
a one-hour documentary narrated by Patty Duke for PBS television.  For that
film I earned screen credits as a featured performer and contributing
writer.  Another highlight was the first sale of my essay, "Shoestring
Publisher," to Publishers Weekly  in New York.  Most recently, my essay,
"The First Star I See," was selected from an international competition for
inclusion in Reading Lips and Other Ways to Overcome a Disability, a
collection of 29 essays published by the Helen Keller Foundation for
Educational Research.  That book is available through the National Library
Service talking book program.

I hold a B.A.  Degree in English from the university of Texas at Austin and
an Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in professional writing from the University of
Southern California.  I have taught English composition and literature
classes for the past 20 years at two community colleges and one university
in two different states.

I will be prepared to discuss creative nonfiction and poetry publishing,
writing, editing and some exercises I have created to be helpful in
preparing to write fiction.  I will be happy to entertain questions
regarding subject matter, style and other questions about freelance writing
and publishing.  I will also attempt to answer any questions about syntax
and/or grammatical usage.  I look forward to sharing ideas with you all on
Dec. 18.

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division