[stylist] Schmanta Claus

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Tue Dec 13 17:58:18 UTC 2011

Chris,
I apologize for  critiquing your work on the basis of an emotional reaction,
and not on the basis of the quality of your writing. There is no excuse for
my having written a mini-bio to try to portray myself as unprejudiced
because of an unusual background. Then I preceded to show prejudice in what
I wrote you.
You have several excellent critiques of your story which address the many
strengths of characterization and nuances of it. I do agree with them.
I listened to the story several more times, and I now realize, it is true
that for Irving, his advice to the boy could be considered as selfless and
intended to help the boy face the season with some optimism.
I was also able to isolate the  words that triggered my unreasonable
reaction. The Krishna's in the airport. I thought, "What has the Hindu deity
got to do with this?" And my mind went right to the Sikh who was killed
several years ago in Mesa. He owned a gas station here, it was after 9-11,
and he wore a turban. Then my mind jumpted to Tororo, Uganda, where out bus
driver was our beloved Sikh.  Talk about an emotional reaction to one or two
words and how they can traverse the mind.

No, I don't want to talk theology, and again, I apologize for that side
trip. I promise to study the critiques given here-in on fiction work, and do
better in the future.
Also, please do not cut down on your so-called "dark" writings. I have an
affinity for reading such things. Triggers are my own problem.

I might still look toward a sequel: "The Redemption of Irving." As Bridget
would say, "Smile."
Jackie