[stylist] How Book discussions and book reviews will work

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 23:28:25 UTC 2011

Stylist members,

We won't start our official book discussions until after the New Year,
but as promised, I want to communicate the plan, and get those who might
participate thinking.

For book reviews, simply write up a review after reading a book, making
sure to include author, title and where it can be found in accessible
formats, if at all. Don't just summarize the book, but try to be more
analytical in your approach. Let us know why you liked, or didn't like,
a book. Highlight devices and technique. This is an individual effort.
Please put book review in your subject. Pretty simple and painless.

Our book discussions will be formal, meaning we will read the same book,
and our discussion will follow a certain protocol. Obviously include
book discussion in your subject whenever posting or replying during a
discussion.

As moderator, I will begin discussions with questions or thoughts to be
considered, but any participant can direct focus to something they have
questions about, or found interesting.

Again, as with the reviews, we will try to be more analytical in our
approach to discussing the material we read. Simple "I liked it," or "I
didn't like it," won't suffice. We will have to expand our opinions and
discuss why we did, or did not, like something. As we read, it will be
important to pay attention to voice, style, structure as well as
characterization, scenic development, plot, along with other things. In
order to have a full discussion, finding meaning while learning how to
grow as writers ourselves, we must be ready to bring insightful comments
and questions to the table. No one should feel stupid or embarrassed by
asking questions and making comments, and no one should be "made" to
feel stupid or embarrassed.

I want this to be group-driven, so I'm asking anyone interested to start
sending me book ideas to consider. Whether you plan to participate
regularly or not, doesn't matter; I want any and all book ideas. Once I
have a list compiled, and I check to make sure a book will fit our
purpose, I will have my hubby use a program he created that will
randomly select choices for us. I will make sure to give a brief
description of each book along with providing if any language or adult
content is in the book.

Please make sure books can in deed be found in more than one accessible
format, meaning if it is only available in Braille, this may not be
efficient for some. We want anyone who wishes to participate to be able
to do so, and not be left out because they don't have the means in which
to read a certain format.

I assume we will predominantly be reading audio books of some kind. No
one will have to purchase material, so we need to find books available
via BARD, NLS, BookShare and any other format free of charge. We will
try our best to accommodate in this way, but as this is all volunteer
based, we can only do our best. If you really want to participate in a
particular discussion, but don't have the means in which to get a
certain book, contact me, and we will see if anything can be done.

This won't be a monthly thing since most of us have a lot going on and
no time to devote to an intense schedule. We will see how it goes, but
at this point, I'm thinking a few times a year.

So, please start sending me books to consider at bpollpeter at hotmail.com
along with any questions or comments you have. We will start sometime
after the New Year, so I look forward to this venture.

Happy holidays to everyone.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan