[stylist] Writers' Division member featured in 2 articles on Blind Driver Challenge

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Feb 1 19:34:12 UTC 2011

Robert,
Suite 101 is fairly typical for online news sites. It uses headings -- h
in Jaws will get you to the top of the article and to subsequent
sections. The thing to remember is that there is usually a list of links
letting users post to Facebook etc near the top of the article. Using 'n
for nonlinked text usually gets you to the beginning of the article
within a few presses. There's always a set of Google ads (this point in
the article is called "the fold" part way down. The fold can come in the
middle of a sentence, so you can't always count on not missing anything
if you use the command for the next heading. The ads often have
nonlinked text within them, so using 'n in Jaws to get past the links
doesn't work immediately. You just have to keep using n' till you get
back into the article. Sometimes, you'll find just one word on a line
and Jaws will say "link." This is called anchored text. If you enter on
"link, National Federation of the Blind" you get to the homepage of the
NFB -- assuming your article writer hasn't messed something up in the
html code, as I did recently, that is.
HTH,
Donna

Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:
www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill
Ezine Articles:
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=D._W._Hill
American Chronicle:
www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org

On 2/1/2011 2:19 PM, Robert Leslie Newman wrote:
> Donna
>
> You always do a good job. So Bill Outman was the guy that suggested the
> demonstration? Neat.
>
> (One other comment- saying this with some frustration- the type of page
> where you post your stuff --- what a pain to wade through to fine what it is
> you are looking for! Any suggestions on how to get there?)

Database version: 6.16810