[stylist] Standards for PR Writing

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 6 04:34:52 UTC 2011

I have a copy of the 2009 AP Style Guide book from Book Share, but I
don't like the navigation on it.  I believe there is a more current
version too.  Like all styles of writing-- MLA, APA, Chicago-- they
constantly are being updated and changed.

One thing I have noticed with NFB news releases that differs from my
formal instruction is the abbreviations, or lack of them.  States should
be abbreviated according to AP Style and not the Post Office form.  So,
for example, Nebraska should be Neb. And not NE.  If a state is a part
of a title, though, then spell it out.  Also, with months, they should
be abbreviated unless a month like May or July so January 5, 2011 should
be Jan. 5, 2011.  If a month is listed on its own, though, then spell it
out.  Like, In February, we will celebrate Black History Month.

And for organizations, businesses and companies, a boiler plate should
be at the end of a news release and not included in the release itself.
A boiler plate is the groups motto or tag line or some brief info about
it.  So the NFB, the world's largest and oldest organization of the
blind... Should be at the end of a news release.

Again, I'm no expert, but I have dabbled in PR as well as taking college
courses.  I am trying to study up on basic AP Style info, but a lot of
it is very technical.  Also, there are a lot of different types of PR
writing beyond news releases like writing for the web, PSA's and things
of that nature.  News releases and alerts have been the most common form
I have done.

Bridgit