[stylist] Hoody bit

Brad Dunse lists at braddunsemusic.com
Wed Jan 5 14:14:45 UTC 2011

for a little self-amusement this morning :)

The store manager was new so I suppose you really
couldn't blame him. I don't think he had much
experience in this sort of thing before, but
after an incident such as this, I'm sure he's
learned a thing or two. A few of us tried to tell
him early on but it was as if he didn't even hear
us, or as if he couldn't understand us at all. It
was almost like he didn't speak our language.
Well, anyway
 we didn't push too hard because we
had heard he was a bit hot under the collar,
though you really would not have thought that by
just looking at him. I mean his white pressed
short sleeved shirt and bright tan slacks were

hmmm alright. I mean the slacks weren't that dark
so they were OK. I mean he couldn't wear white
slacks too or he'd look like a doctor or
something, you know, too clean and proper. No,
the light tan slacks were OK, too dark and well,
you know, *spoken in a whisper* the darky slacks

no matter how you try to contrast them
 because
of their color they just send the wrong message you know.

I on the other hand, with my official  medium sky
blue long sleeves, neatly pressed chest pockets,
stiff unwrinkled collar standing proud atop the
wide shoulders, sharply contrasted dark blue
slacks  creased commanding municipal respect
being tied off at the waist by a shiny black
leather belt, knew this sort of thing happens
from time to time. I might have expected it too
from the murmuring I thought I heard earlier on in the evening.

I'd say it happened somewhere around 11:00PM,
shortly after closing time and all the store
personnel had gone home for the night. The place
was dark and only the security lights lit certain
areas of the store. The dress shirt section was
well lit and out in the open, as was the tank
tops and plane sweat shirts. Even the wild
carefree T-shirts with their brazen multi-colored
logos slapped on them like cheap chest tattoos
were out in the open. There were others though
that were hidden in the shadows of the security
lights. If anyone should have been hidden from
the light it should really have been the
negligees and unmentionables but no, it wasn't
that way, not like other stores with
 well you
see, this is where the store manager
 well I'm
sure he knows now, but it always has to come to
something like this before anything is done about it.

As I said I think it had to be a little after
11:00PM, shortly after closing time, maybe
11:30PM I'm not really sure. I was standing there
quiet-like, the store was all still. And out of
the buzzing noise of the scantly illuminating
fluorescents, I thought I heard this whispering.
At first I wasn't sure but then it seemed to get
louder. Sure enough I began to hear these voices
and right away I knew what was happening.  Their
accent and dialect gave them away even in the
darkness. As the murmuring grew louder I began to pick out what was being said.

"Look at you mon weeth your foncy stripes and
pressed coalars... get a load ofe deece guy
mon... oh... tsk tsk tsk. Aw. Jew popped a coople
boatens. Aw Chus like deece one here, dos a shame mon".

I knew right then we had trouble and it wasn't
going to be pretty. But what was I to do. The
manager had me clipped up on the display wall
with arms stretched out like I was being
crucified. I'm telling you, I mean I'm not
saying? I'm just saying.  You know, I think the
manager had a lot of missed responsibility here.
New or not, well anyway, I could hear things were
heating up from another section ...

"Hey man look at this feller.  he's a thinkin'
he's purdy smart wit dat Rayon tag he's a sportin' there. Well I'll just..."

And then I heard this horrible tearing sound. I
mean he made off like he was going to rip off
just the tag but it sounded like he tore the
whole arm off the guy. All this was happening
just around the corner where I couldn't quite get
a good look at who  the trouble makers were, but
I knew. Oh, I knew alright. It was easy for the
cops to tell too when they finally came in the next morning.

But anyway pinned helpless there I heard another
scream, I looked and finally I could see
something of what was going on just outside of
the shadows. It was coming from the negligee section.

"Get your hands off me you, you... you...  piece of white... help! Help!"

I looked over and it confirmed my suspicion. The
upper part of his garment was the tell tale thing
but with Lederhosen? I mean that's an odd
combination but these trouble makers, they'll
wear anything for an identity that draws attention  to them.

All of a sudden the voices got louder. The
trouble makers with there accents and dialects
were pushing shoving and ripping everyone off
their hangers. You could hear shirts drop to the
floor, some in just a protective fetal position,
and others because they were yanked off the rack,
thrown down and stomped. Screams and torrents of
obscenities rang out along with fabric names.
Cotton, Rayon, Wool, Polyester Blend, you name it
and it was yelled out just before they were
beaten or tore to shreds.  If attacking them for
their textile ethnicity wasn't good enough, the
troublemakers began spewing out styles. V-necks,
tank tops, button down, short sleeve, long
sleeve, no sleeve, it didn't matter they were out
to make their mark in the clothing section of the
store. cries for help  rang out one after another
and like I say, there I was pinned against the
wall in "nail me to the cross" mode, unable to do anything.

Well, by the time the store manager got there in
the morning every stitch of clothing was tossed
on the floor. Buttons lay randomly in the isles
along with ripped off collars, pockets and
sleeves. Hangers littered the main isle next to
crumpled broken plastic displays and metal
tubular hanging racks tipped over. I was lucky
enough to have landed face down with the top of
my display wall propped  up against  the feet of
the denim shirt's round rack  that was in front
of me before all this started, so I wasn't
crushed. Yes, every stitch of clothing was either
tore, had its buttons popped, its buckles
wrenched off, or otherwise destroyed. When the
humans walked in only one set of garments was
left sitting untouched and only slightly
misarranged according to size as if they
scampered to return to the rack before someone saw.

That's when they knew who caused all this
trouble.  Those troublemakers the hoodys. Its
always the hoodys, you can't trust a one of them
I tel ya. And it doesn't matter if they have draw
straps, are pull overs or zip, have tattoos on
their chest like the T-shirts or not. No matter
what color, solid or multi-colored, they all were
there hanging presuming innocence while the rest
of us lay in a shambles on the store manager's pretty little floor.