[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 81, Issue 5

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 21:19:58 UTC 2011

Hi Friends,

Congratulations, Bridgit. Good luck in your new endeavor!

Judith, while not wanting to demonize the unions, I agree that
concentrating on educating children and preparing them to be productive,
well-informed citizens needs to be the goal.

I also agree with something Donna said earlier, something that has been
bothering me for some time in fact. That is the lessening or diluting of
literacy in the general public. I myself have spent most of my life
reading by listening, and the method has served me well. Still, I’d be
the first to point out that a great deal is missed when the reader
doesn’t have direct contact, interaction with the words on the page. But
even among sighted children the trend seems to be to switch to
listening. Maybe this is the SF writer in me taking over, but,
extrapolating the trend, I can foresee a time when there will again be
literate classes, in this case writers and actors, and unlettered
classes, everybody else. That’s certainly not a world I want to live in.

Brad, LOL

Solidarity and Peace,
Kerry