[stylist] story of hoodlums

Brad Dunse lists at braddunsemusic.com
Sun Jan 9 18:25:22 UTC 2011

Pretty creative scene there, I saw the whole
thing. Mr. Brandon had some honkin' mutton chops
running down his long slender face :)

Brad

On 1/9/2011  11:19 AM James H. \"Jim\" Canaday M.A. N6YR said...

> [...]
>
>Sean carried his brightly polished dispatch case
>behind him.  He was known throughout the city as
>the “on the ball telegram boy,” with his sharp
>pressed blue and white uniform pants and shirt.  Being the fastest helped.
>
>Sean smiled and said to himself, “the great Mr.
>Joab J. St. Brendan will tip me extra just for looking neat tonight.”
>
>Whenever Sean was on the streets in his uniform,
>he earned big tips.  Other people knew
>this.  Tonight he rounded a corner just two
>blocks from Mr. Brendan’s suite.  As he did,
>Sean caught sight of them: those damned
>hoodlums.  Those five street toughs, standing
>under a gaslight smoking and talking big, their
>caps pulled down low.  Had they seen him?  They
>had jumped him for his tips last week.
>
>Sean pedaled around the corner on to Van Ness
>Street.  He was desperately trying to avoid
>their attention as he watched the hoodlums
>behind his left shoulder.  So he didn’t see the
>menacing muddy puddle before him.  In one splash
>Sean Callahan’s pants were despicably coated with mud to the knees.
>
>Sean knew he surely could not stop near those
>braggadocious hoodlums.  He also couldn’t delay
>delivery of the great man’s important
>telegram.  His pedaling didn’t slow, but Sean
>bit his lip hard.  His green eyes took on a
>steely glint.  In a minute or two, the hoodlums were left behind.
>
>“Telegram for Mr. St. Brendan,” Sean waved to
>the doorman of the Hoskins Plaza as he entered.
>
>“You’re all muddy Sean boy!  Stop!”
>
>“Can’t stop sir.  Important telegram!”
>
>The doorman let him pass.  He also sent a note
>to the manager to explain the mud.
>
>After being passed by a couple of hotel staff,
>and then Mr. St. Brendan’s own business manager,
>Sean stood before the great man.  Sean had
>interrupted a happy scene of four wealthy businessmen toasting something.
>
>He handed him the telegram in a leather
>holder,  “sir, I have an important telegram for
>you.  Shall I wait for a reply?”  Sean knew he
>looked terrible in all of that mud, but at least
>he had done his job.  That fine tip didn’t seem so likely now.
>
>  “Here you go Sean,” Mr. Brendan distractedly
> handed him a dime (a large tip) as he took the
> leather holder.  The great man scanned the
> urgent telegram and muttered something about a
> cousin in New York.  “No, you don’t need to
> wait for a reply, be on your way boy.”
>
>Sean felt a tremendous relief.  He turned and
>walked toward the door.  Just then Mr. Joab J.
>St. Brendan noticed the muddy footprints on that
>expensive in laid floor, and the mud on Sean’s formerly splendorous uniform.
>
>“Stop!  You damned hoodlum!”  Joab St. Brendan
>said reprimanding Sean.  But as he heard himself
>shout this, he heard it shouted in his own face
>twenty-six years before with a stab in his
>heart.  Back then some Knob Hill dandy shouted
>“Stop!  You damned hoodlum!” looking down his
>nose at a smudge faced street tough named Joey
>Brandon.  Joey Brandon now in his Hoskins Plaza
>suite remembered and took a deep breath.

 boy, come back here, it is okay,” spoke
>the great man in a cracking voice.
>
>Sean felt fear now, more than he did at the
>corner of Van Ness by those hoodlums.
>
>“Yes sir?”
>
>    “Please forgive my outburst.  Sean, here’s
> another nickel.” And Joab St. Brendan gently
> put his hand on Sean’s shoulder, “one of my
> workers will fetch you a cup of warm chocolate
> while your uniform is properly cleaned here in my hotel.  Can you wait?”
>
>“Uh!  Yes sir.  Thank you sir!  But

>why?”  Sean couldn’t believe his luck; he just didn’t understand.
>
>“Because, ahem
 well it’s the right thing to do.”

>And with that, the great man Mr. Joab J. St.
>Brendan turned back to his cronies over their cigars and whiskey.

>__________ Information from ESET Smart Security,
>version of virus signature database 5771 (20110109) __________

>http://www.eset.com

Brad Dunse

If you think the Tallahassee Bridge is a certain
part of a Native American song...
you might be a songwriter. --Anonymous

brad at braddunsemusic.com

http://www.braddunsemusic.com