[stylist] The Tragic Shooting of Gabrielle Giffords

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Thu Jan 13 18:03:32 UTC 2011

Judith,
You have done an excellent job of expressing your opinion on this. As
far as any criticism of your writing, I had a mild reaction to the last
word --- after all, a preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with.
* grin*

As an independent, I believe that both the hate-mongering retorric of
the far right (Palin's constant call to reload, depictions of bulls-eye
targets showing Democratic districts, signs like "Thank God for breast
Cancer" and "Elizabeth in hell" professionally designed for funeral and
memorial protests,  and the like) as well as the down-the-nose,
better-than-thou intellectual snobbery of the far left all contribute to
an atmosphere of bigotry and hatred which impacts all of us. Though no
one incident may ever be determined to have precipitated the
assassinations you mention, the culture of hatred, intolerance, bigotry
and general lack of concern and civility contributes to all of them.

All of us, IMO, should -- instead of either pointing the finger at
others or denying our own culpability -- should examine the little
things we say and think and embrace our power to be better people.

Donna

Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:
www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill
Ezine Articles:
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=D._W._Hill
American Chronicle:
www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Feoeration of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org