[stylist] Monthly Telephone Gathering- January reminder

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Jan 17 17:41:17 UTC 2011

Reminder- RE: Our January Telephone Gathering

The Topic: Technical Writing (from an expert in the field)

Date: January 30th (call info at the bottom of message)

Dear Members:

I am writing with a reminder to attend this months telephone gathering. We
are fortunate to have lined up an expert in the field of "Technical
Communications," or Technical writing.

Here is a BIO sent to us by our guest, Char James-Tanny. This lady I believe
will prove to be a very interesting speaker. If you can work your schedule
to make it, I bet it will be worth your while, no matter if you have a
desire to become a technical writer or not.

Bio:

Char James-Tanny is president of JTF Associates, Inc. and has thirty years
of experience as a technical writer and technical communicator. She speaks
around the world on topics including Help authoring concepts and tools,
accessibility, social media, web standards, collaboration, and technology.
Char has been a Microsoft Help MVP since 2002 and is a senior member of the
Society for Technical Communication.

In the early 80s, most people thought tech writers were the people who wrote
the programs. A lot has changed since then: "technical communication" is now
the recognized field and "technical writers" is now recognized as a distinct
profession by the US Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

During this informal session, learn more about technical writing: what it is
(and isn't), how it differs from creative writing, what types of companies
use tech writers,  what educational opportunities are available, and how to
keep up with the latest information. The last half of the session will be
open for questions and answers.

*****

Time: 8:30 Eastern; 7:30 Central; 6:30 Mountain; 5:30 Pacific

Number to call: (218) 339-4300

Code:  568839 (followed by the pound sign)

Robert Leslie Newman

President- NFB Writers' Division

Division Website

http://www.nfb-writers-division.org