[stylist] Thinking of Words

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 22:52:10 UTC 2011

Anita,

As a sighted person, I could read print words and immediately construct
a visual image in my mind.  Just like how sighted people don't know how
we construct things in our mind, the same applies for the flip side.  I
don't know how to explain it except to say you just do it.

I have always been an extremely visual person, and I have been reading
since I was 6.  I have never been at a loss to create visual images in
my head even when I was sighted.

The really weird thing is I now have visual memories even though I do
not see.  For example, I can bring up visual memories of my wedding with
great detail even though I could not visually see.  My husband and I
took a picture in front of a fire place with a mantle (we were married
in a large Victorian home( and I not only (in my memory) see us, but I
see the detail of our clothes, the detail of the mantle and the detail
of the decorations.  Most the time, too, my memories are fairly
accurate.

I am not suggesting I have magic powers, I think I have just learned to
transpose other sensory information, along with an active imagination,
to create detailed images in my head, but it is weird nonetheless.

I do have some light perception, and at times, I can see shadows, but I
always have TV fuzz, as I call it.  I constantly "see" swirling dots,
like on a TV when the channel is not coming in, and pops of colors along
with spinning rainbows at times.  Very trippy!  *smile*

Bridgit

Message: 24