[stylist] Copyrighting titles

Brad Dunse lists at braddunsemusic.com
Fri Jan 21 21:11:14 UTC 2011

I'm not sure that those are copyrighted, I would guess registered
trademarks which gets into the graphhics such as a logo? Song titles,
books, and phrases really can't be copyrighted. An audio recording of
an advertised slogan yes, a phrase written in a specific font or
design, yes, but you can not copyright a title. Imagine how few
books  or songs we would have today :). McDonald's for instance can
trademark the golden arches   but not the letter "M", and evenb their
name as it appears as a logo, but not the name itself. Think how
disappointed those nursery rhyme folks would be to learn they've been
feeding kids ideas of plagerism and infringements because old
McDonald had a farm and just happen to have his name in bold letters
out front of his place :). Nike can trademark their logo/name, and
maybe even the "Just Do It" phrase as it might appear as a ad slogan
in  graphics but not the words themselves.  If that were the case,
they themselves would be in violation and subject to an infringement
case by thousands of mothers across the country who used it in reply
to their kid's refusing to clean their rooms long before Nike decided
to self-servingly lay claim to it :). Graphic yes, word no.

Brad

On 1/21/2011  02:53 PM Bridgit Pollpeter said...