[stylist] Please read my new blog

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:09:04 UTC 2011

Shawn,

It is very interesting some of the things people think about blindness.
*grin*  I think it is mostly ignorance and people not truly thinking
before they speak.

Unfortunately, many people think they know all about blindness and
diabetes.  We here so much info about diabetes especially nowadays, and
of course with blindness, far too often the automatic response is that I
do things with sight, and when in the dark, I'm not able to do much,
therefore, being blind means you can no longer live a full, active life.
I guess from an outside, ignorant perspective, this makes sense, but I
honestly never had this level of negativity towards blindness.

Most people get their news in sound bights so they only have a portion
of the story, or people don't understand a lot of things.  Like type 1
and type 2 diabetes are different.  The treatments are usually
different, the causes are vastly different- but most people I deal with
think they are one in the same.  And even within each respective type,
things can be different for individuals.

For instance, I've always responded very well to insulin.  I don't
typically require massive amounts of insulin even to counter balance
foods like pasta and rich desserts.  I know others, though, who take
dose after dose of insulin during the day just to regulate their
readings.  Obviously we have differing treatments and recommendations,
but non-diabetics don't always understand this.

Also, I'm on an insulin pump, which acts as close to a real pancreas as
possible.  I don't have food restrictions because I can automatically
correct and treat with insulin instantly, and my pump delivers dosages
throughout the day just like a non-diabetics body will do.  Rates are
set up throughout the day based on how my sugars run at those times.
However, most people don't know this- most diabetics, especially type
1s, can eat whatever too as long it fits within their carb amount for
the day.  If you want that piece of cake for dinner, then you adjust
your diet accordingly so you remain in balance with your insulin/carb
ratio.

And for someone like me, I've always been encouraged to eat more
calories in a day, though I watch my weight too because this all affects
how diabetes works.

So diabetes does not always have a blanket agenda that can be applied to
each person, but many people, including diabetics, don't understand
this.

When I was researching for my blog about the boy who was able to get his
vision restored, I read comments about the story on Today Show.com.  A
blind man had posted and he said that he wished he could "see" again so
he could work and support his family and help out at home.  He was a
younger gentleman, in his 40s so not a retired senior or anything.  This
was sad to me because from personal experience, and many of others
experiences, I know this idea is completely unfounded, and obviously
this man had no exposure to blindness, or at least not positive
exposure.

I always fail to understand these attitudes as I, myself, did not go
through this mindset.  Perhaps because I've been dealing with something
like diabetes my entire life, and I had to almost die to lose my vision,
are reasons leading me to a positive mindset towards blindness.  If
given the choice, I would take the cure for diabetes over blindness any
day.

Actually, a few years ago, a close friend said she'd rather have cancer
than lose her vision.  Her argument was that cancer can be cured in many
cases whereas blindness is currently a permanent situation for most.
This makes no sense to me, and my mom went through cancer as did my
maternal grandma and great aunt- all have recovered, but my paternal
grandma did not survive cancer.  She lost the battle when she was in her
50s.  I don't think any of these women would say cancer is the lesser of
the two evils.

We obviously have much work to do in terms of education about blindness
as well as diabetes.  The task is overwhelming to me at times, but
clearly attitudes must change including those with blindness.

It is awesome to know groups exist like the NFB that do so much to get
the message out there.

Bridgit
Message: 4