[stylist] Writers' Division June Telephone Gathering- reminder

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Jun 3 12:27:34 UTC 2011

RE: Don't miss our special guest for the June Telephone Gathering! Margo
LaGattuta

This email will provide you with: #1 her BIO for a second time. #2 the
questions we have gathered thus far that we would like Margo to address. #3
the time, phone number and conference ID to join in on the call. (This
should be very interesting --- be there!)

#1  Margo LaGattuta is the 2005 winner of The Mark Twain Award for her
contribution to Midwestern Literature, has her MFA from Vermont College and
four published collections of poetry, Embracing the Fall, The Dream Givers,
Noedgelines, and Diversion Road. Her poetry and essays have been published
in many national literary magazines and anthologies. She has done
writer-in-the-schools residencies and teacher in-service sessions, both
locally and nationally, for over 20 years and edited eight anthologies for
small presses. In 2002/2003 she received a Michigan Creative Artist's Grant
from Art Serve Michigan to complete her newest poetry collection, Bridge of
Birds. A two-time winner of the Midwest Poetry Award and many National
Federation of State Poetry Societies Awards, including a recent Founders
Award, she was nominated by Naomi Shihab Nye for a Pushcart Prize for her
work in small press publishing. Margo writes for Community Lifestyles in
Rochester, where she creates a weekly creative nonfiction column, articles
and theater reviews. She teaches writing at University of Michigan-Flint,
Baker College and Oakland Community College and conducts creative writing
workshops both locally and nationally.

#2- Here are the questions for Margo:

--Marilynn:

1. What is the place of rhyming or other "form" poetry in today's publishing
world?

2. Are there new popular trends in what magazine publishers or anthologists
want that would help us get our work out there?

3. How should we consider those "Pay to have your poem in my anthology"
promotions on such topics as sacrifice, intuition, forgiveness, etc.?

4. What is a good way to know whether a piece should be written as poetry or
as a short memoir or essay?

--Nancy:

What books should be read to improve our skills?

What are the smarter now-day tactics for marketing?

#3 Here is the time, and the numbers you need to get on the call:

Time: 8:30 Eastern; 7:30 Central; 6:30 Mountain; 5:30 Pacific

Number to call: (218) 339-4300

Code:  568839 (followed by the pound sign)

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division

Division Website