[stylist] Off-Topic Discussions- ruling

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Jun 7 17:56:03 UTC 2011

Okay, Neil and Paul and Natalie and Shawn are more correct than the others
who have posted on this issue of "off topic" posts. I mean, on this go
around, what was posted by Donna about the situation of the blind venders in
New York was an acceptable alert to the list. It then would be up to us to
follow what was being asked for  or not --- and we would do this on our own,
off list. Any subsequent posts on that off-topic post, and especially those
that are more than a polite discussion or asking for clarification, would
then not be acceptable. (This requires some thinking and following of this
developing OFF-Topic rule.) and do know, that I will respond to the offender
of the post that goes beyond the accepted rule. And guys, keep in mind, we
do have "Writers Chat" where we can talk about anything. And so I will warn
the offender once, and on the second go around, I will have them suspended
from the list for a period of time (it will not be publically announced that
this has happened to the offender.) And if the offender does not learn from
the first suspension, I'll do it again for a longer period of time. And
finally, if it happens a third time, that offender will be band from the
list.

Harsh you think? No, it is just asking for respect for other list members.
We do want this list to be a healthy forum for discussion and learning. And
when we see several of our usual members crying "STOP," then we all need to
stop, pull back and examine what is going on. and

Robert Leslie Newman
President, Omaha Chapter NFB
President, NFB Writers' Division
Division Website