[stylist] Lack of Critiques -- Suggestions?

Brad Dunse' lists at braddunsemusic.com
Mon Jun 13 03:19:31 UTC 2011

Sory. I was gone for a week and saw 325 emails in my inbox upon
return after removeing most all email lists subscriptions accept this
one and a couple  weekly ones  before I left town lol. Only half way
through at this writing. As for  feedback on work I think there's a
couple  reasons for not giving them.

Firstly, I always try to reply as I know myself I always appreciate
feedback on my work. I think Donna has a good assessment, sometimes
we save it for later to give it a good going over and it gets lost,
or we don't feel we have anything we can offer based on our own skill
level. For example I am a horrible grammarian and more of a "get the
feeling of it out and write as I'd speak" kind of guy so when it
comes to grammar questions or feedback you'll not hear from me :).
Donna brings a good point with her sister, in which I've seen time
and time over in music, we all read or listen to music and can base
our feedback off of that even though we may not be a writer of that
particular media, we've listened to it for years and so have accurat
feedback from a reader/listener standpoint regardless. . Neil brings
a good point as well in that he is not a poet so can't comment on it
as he just doesn't read or get into it to much. I started a
songwriting evaluation service in our state songwriting organization
and the basic rule is if you submit something for critique , be sure
to do a good turn and give a critique to those who helped you out. In
other words return a good turn with a good turn and it really helps
the ball to keep rolling and folks begin to build synergy and camaraderie.

Brad

On 6/8/2011  10:35 AM Donna Hill said...