[stylist] Off-topic: Anyone watch Ray Kurzwile on TV?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 26 23:29:05 UTC 2011

I find Dr. Kurzwile interesting and fascinating, but I question our
reliance on technology.

During his interview on the Jimmy Kimmel show, Dr. Kurzwile said we will
eventually merge with our computers to become alleged super-humans, in
essence.  We would live with less health complications, and we would
live longer- like Noah longer.  We would be able to experience
everything from travel to new levels of comprehension to even sex all
through virtual reality.  Dr. Kurzwile painted a utopian society, but I
don't think humans have the ability to create such a society.  And are
we meant to live forever?  We live in the moment and fear death so much,
but why?  We are taught this life is important, and we should do
everything we can so that when we die, we have no regrets.  This is fine
to reach your full potential, but we also teach that the after-life is
to be feared, and we should avoid it at all cost, but why?  Maybe death
is just a continuation of life; maybe it is a new life.

Some eventual outcomes of technology are great and even necessary, but I
question a world where humans merge with technology to rely on machines
and find most our stimulation through virtual reality.  What happens
when artisans- writers, dancers, artist, musicians- sit in front of a
computer to create instead of using our hands, our energy, to be
productive?

When we lose- or give up- something, what ramifications will we meet?
Healthier lives sound great, but I worry about our growing reliance on
technology.  We already see the results of this trend, what will it be
like when we become one with this technology?  It is a union my
instincts say is wrong.

This all sounds sciency-fictiony, and far-out, but it becomes more of a
reality each day.  Technology has become our source of survival, and we
are not far off from requiring our bodies to merge with technology in
order to live.  We are meant to create and be productive- not just
intellectually, but physically.  A world where every whim can be
satisfied through technology and virtual reality is not one where we are
truly living.  We are already losing true human connection through
technology.  Touch is important, but we are losing this sense every day.
The only touch we know now is with our keyboard.  This worries me.

Just rambling thoughts...

Bridgit

Message: 2