[stylist] Announcing www.nfb-writers-division.net Version 2.0!!

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 27 01:09:45 UTC 2011

Good evening everyone!

    I am pleased to announce the relaunch of the National Federation of the
Blind Writers' Division World-Wide Web Site Version 2.0! There are several
exciting site enhancements and new capabilities that were not available in
the previous version. They include:

1. The National Federation of the blind Writers' Division Blog. Now members
will be able to share content with other site visitors and the writing
community via this new component. There is currently an introductory post
and a response to give you an idea of how the blog will work when it is
fully up and running. Members will be able to post content in various media
types. Visitors can leave comments, search blog entries by keywords and
categories, subscribe via RSS feeds and much more.

    The blog also demonstrates an exciting feature that will protect site
forms from spam bots without the use of captchas removing the accessibility
issues they create for blind and deaf-blind Web surfers. The process this
plug-in uses to control spam bots is totally invisible to the user. As more
Web forms are added to the site this technology will be implamented there as
well to control spam without creating accessibility hurdles for our
visitors.

2. The National Federation of the Blind Writers' Division "Writers Education
Station."

Have you ever wanted to know how to create effective press releases, know
who uses technical writing, how to write poetry, how to market and publish
your works, The ins and outs of memoir writing,etct, our Writers Education
Station is the place to find answers. Articles, presentations, telepone
gatherings, and other content related to a particular aspect of writing and
publishing will be categorized and made available via this new resource on
our Web site. This site area is expected to grow fast so check it often.

3. Site cleanup:

    Every effort was made to clean up problem pages, fix broken links and
other site maintenance.

4. Aria Landmarks on all site pages:
    Our first incarnation of our Web site only contained Aria landmarks on
certain pages. These allow screen reader users whose screen access product
supports them to easily jump from particular portions of a Web page
eliminating teedious content searches contained on specific areas of the
page.

 4. Use of the ColdFusion Markup Language:
    We now have access to Adobe's ColdFusion Markup Language (CFML) Version
9.0 Enterprise edition. This markup language extends the capability of
Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) to allow exciting site conponents such as
blogs, databases, wikis, and other functionality we may find useful to be
added in the future.

    Available recordings of all past telephone gatherings are now in the
"Telephone Gatherings" archive. The "Conventions" area has been reorganized
so all division activity pages are uniform. There are many other fixes and
enhancements that were undertaken during the crafting of Version 2.0. To see
for yourselves visit:
http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

    We want this to be a valuable resource to the blind authoring community
and are committed to growing our Web presence in the months and years to
come. See you all in Orlando.

Peter Donahue
Webmaster, National Federation of the Blind Writers' Division