[stylist] Off-topic: Uncle Ray, bioethics and Mother Nature

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 14:42:22 UTC 2011

Shawn,

You may be interested in reading a novel called Feed, by M.T.
Anderson--perhaps the best YA novel I've ever read. It was written in 2001,
I believe, so technologically it may be a little dated, but the basic
premise is actually what you were talking about. Babies in the future have
chips implanted in their brains which give them mental internet access, or
access to the 'feed'. Kids no longer go to school, they are portrayed as
relatively stupid, mentally sending texts back and forth all day. They are
bored, and the wild part is that they are bombarded by advertisements, since
corporations run the feed. I won't spoil the plot, in case you (or someone
else) do read it, but indeed there is a hacker situation, and chaos ensues.

chris