[stylist] March Telephone Gathering -- TONIGHT -- All Screen Readers and software

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Mar 27 12:50:09 UTC 2011

Today is the DAY!

RE: Here is a reminder- Writers' and Krafters Division- Our Monthly
Telephone Gathering for March is all about using the computer as a tool for
writing

---march 27th and that is today's date.

(This will be recorded and available from our Website)

I am reminding you all of the opportunity to join in on this call! The
specific requests which have come in for our Tech Tag-Team are at the bottom
of this message. I am sure we will touch on more.

Here are the numbers you need to get on the call:

Time: 8:30 Eastern; 7:0 PM Central; 6:30 Mountain; 5:30 Pacific.

Number to call: (218) 339-4300

Pen to use:  568839(and pound sign)

--- questions:

**#1 my question: From Amy:

A little over a year ago, I signed up for Facebook and was successfully
using the site by visiting their Facebook Lite version. When they
discontinued the Lite version, I began to have troubles. Granted, I'm
running an older version of Jaws, but I'm no longer able to use the features
on the Facebook site. Has anyone else been having difficulties? How did you
resolve them? I would like to utilize Facebook as a tool in the promotion of
my books, but this accessibility issue is holding me back. Any tips about
Facebook and Jaws 6.5? Thank you.

**#2 Hi Robert,
Here are some questions for our monthly meeting.
Donna

I use Windows XP with Office Word 2003 and Jaws 11 and have several
questions.

1. How do you get to the Document Recovery Pane using Jaws? Whenever I have
a crash, I often get a message that a document has been recovered and do I
want to view it the next time I open Word. I check yes, but it is never
there, and I can't find where it would be.

2. When I copy something from an e-mail into a Word document, I spend a lot
of time going through to remove extra line breaks. Is there an easier way to
remove them?

3. I write for several online magazines, and I have to put HTML code into my
articles prior to submission. In Word, I have a problem with the HTML code
for URLs, which requires that quotes surround the URL. I have Smart Quotes
turned off. The quotes I enter often disappear and have to be re inserted.
Also, even with Jaws at the default speed, I can't always get it to read the
URL character by character. It wants to just read the whole thing, which
makes it impossible to tell if there's an extra space. I tried writing in
Word, copying to Notepad and putting in the html code there, but when I try
to lift the Notepad document onto the clipboard, I often don't get the whole
thing.

4. When I rename a folder or file, I sometimes get other files or folders
renamed the same thing. I'm only selecting one, but everything gets changed.
Is there some way to undo this or prevent it from happening?

5. If you're using XP, is there any benefit to installing Jaws 12? I have
it, but haven't installed it yet.

**#3 Does JAWS have special abilities that can be tweaked to tell us about
the formatting of a document and other stuff about a document?

**#4 It is my understanding that Outlook will no longer be an option after
Office
2010.
In preparation for the loss of this tool, what calendar, contact and email
clients do you suggest?

Dixie

**#5 I understand Firefox has the ability to handle capsha  screens and copy
them to your clipboard, Is firefox work as well with JAWS as Internet
Explorer?

I have another question and I am new to Windows 7 and JAWS 12 so I don't
know which this involves.  In Word I think I have 2007 or 2009, as I know it
is not 2010, but what is the ribbon or when you hold down the alt key?

Another question and I do not know what is involved with this as it did not
do this on my other computer with JAWS 10, Vista and AOL 9, but it does do
it with Jaws 12, Windows 7 and AOL 9.6:  When I am in my mail in AOL if I am
arrowing down it will read subject lines on approximately the first 15
emails beside date and who it is from.  once beyond those first 15 when you
arrow down it will not say anything.  If you page down and it passes that
15th email it will not say anything as date, who it is from or subject line
and likewise if you do a search for an email once past the 15th email it
will not say anything.  It will stop on the email that you are searching
for, but the only way you can get it to read the subject line is by opening
the email.  The older version of these programs gave you the ability to hear
the subject line.  Oddly enough if you example page down you can arrow up
and it will read each subject line going up from the one you are on, but
will not read the one you paged down to.

Joyce

--- Most of my questions involve using Jaws in proofreading documents.  I
would like detailed information on quickly locating errors.  For example,
are there things we can do with pitch or voice profiles within Jaws to
highlight certain things in a text?  That sort of thing.

Thanks for putting it together.  Wish I could be there live.

Jean

Where is there good instruction for Office 2010?

Gary

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division