[stylist] President's Update

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:19:06 UTC 2011

Slate & Style is coming along.  I was able to go through most my current
submissions during my spring break, and I was pleasantly surprised.

It is going to take a lot of work, but I think the new vision of Slate &
Style begins to grow clearer.  We need to generate more enthusiasm for
the magazine especially outside the division which will draw in more
members for us.  Most people want to be part of something active, and we
need to encourage this activity so the division can get moving once
again.  I think Slate & Style can be a gateway allowing people to
experience what we have to offer.

Again, our changes are to not move away from literature-- fiction,
creative nonfiction and poetry-- but to simply broaden our audience and
include other forms of writing along with more pieces discussing
technical aspects of writing-- structure, voice, dialogue, pacing, etc.

We are also working on a new design concept so S & S is more
aesthetically pleasing.

These changes will be unveiled in May.

As the leadership of the division, I encourage each of you to support
and submit to S & S.  As the leaders of this division, you should have
the loudest voice.  The commitments made can be tough, but strong
direction is what keeps the currents moving so we don't grow stagnant.

On a side note, thank you, Lori, for all the article submissions.  I can
definitely use them, and I am eager to see more from you as you continue
to strengthen and heal.

Robert, I believe, is busier now than before he retired.  *smile*  I
know he needs us each to do our part though.  We are all busy, but we
willingly jumped into these positions.  I am finishing up my degree and
will graduate this summer.  I also will begin an internship with a local
PR group here in May along with continuing my blog for Live Well
Nebraska.  I am also on Robert's team in the Omaha chapter, and I am
participating with the newsletter group since I also edit the Nebraska
affiliate's newsletter.  On top of this, my husband and I begin the
adoption process as he pursues his masters.  I do not say all this to
show you what I am up to, but to garner participation from the
leadership for the division and the magazine.  It really does take a
team, as Robert said, and we all made a choice to do our part-- we now
have to find those places where we can assist.

I am excited to be a part of the team, and I am eager to launch Slate &
Style into a new era.  I appreciate your support and look forward to
learning more about each one of you.

Sincerely,
Bridgit