[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 85, Issue 7

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun May 8 23:23:09 UTC 2011

Donna and everyone,

I agree with you- I believe any writer, creative, journalistic, etc.,
should focus more on content than style.  It is the content and not how
the content is written that communicates a message.

Since I take public relations classes, I am required to follow the
standards set by the journalism department at my university.  Most my
instructors, who all have practical experience as well as academic, are
sticklers about following AP although many admit that not everyone
follows the AP rules.

I merely posted these tips because not everyone on this list is a
professional journalist/PR writer, and after our meeting with Liz
Campbell, I thought it would be appropriate to post some guidelines that
people can use if they wish.  I only know AP style when it comes to this
type of writing.  I did not intend to imply AP is the only way to write
a news release or other similar writing.

Though, according to my instructors, good editors do require journalist
and PR writers to follow guidelines, and if certain guidelines were not
adhered to, the piece must be revised or not used.  The supervisor for
my PR internship this summer is constantly requesting us to revise.  If
even the most minor guideline is not followed, she gives us our piece
back to edit.

Obviously in the busy world of journalism not every editor is going to
follow, or catch, each guideline not followed, but, whatever style used,
good editors are looking for material that follows whatever standard
that publication insist on.

I know a couple of real editors and they do care about every detail.
Clarity of Content is clearly the first priority, but it is the purpose
of an editor to spot and fix any errors.  If following something like AP
or another style guide, editors will read with that mindset.

For my academic and creative writing, I refer to Strunk and White's
Elements of Style.  It has been very helpful.  I have been meaning to
read Elephants of Style, but have not had time.  It has been on my
Victor Stream for months, but hopefully I will have time to check it out
now that my semester is over!  *smile*

Anyway, my intention was never to imply AP is the only way.  Being the
only style I use frequently, I posted what I know.

Bridgit

 Message: 2