[stylist] Canes and dogs

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue May 10 20:11:48 UTC 2011

Steve,

I do agree with what you say here, but in the context of the editors
note that Marion responded to, I understand the argument Marion makes.

Based on the writers argument, dog users do not need to take a dog to a
restaurant because there would be people to assist.  Since they are not,
according to this gentlemen's comments, doing any travel requiring much
independence- like walking home as you say- they do not need to bring a
tool along like a dog.  Based on this argument, we can assume, by
process of elimination, that this guy is suggesting the blind person
would use sighted guide as he would need to get from his house to the
cab, from cab to restaurant, and reverse.

Before I go on, I'm not saying sighted guide is wrong, though in most
situations, I do not believe this is the only method a person should
use.  For example, as Marion points out, what does one do if you have to
use the bathroom while at the restaurant and you do not have a cane or
dog?  Not as practical as some think.

I always use my cane no matter what, but I have no problem using sighted
guide in some situations.  I took my dad to see Cold Play for Father's
Day last year, and once we entered the main area of the arena, I took
his arm as there was a huge crowd, and the echoes in the halls screwed
most my audio cues up.  I stilll caned, but I held my dad's arm so I
didn't lose him in the crowd and to help me maintain my direction.  It
is good to know we can navigate any place independently, but there are
times when a sighted guide is efficient.  Dr. Jernigan addressed this in
a letter.  It can be found on the website.

Anyway, I also felt this man's comments suggested the cane is the only
way to travel as a blind person.  Regardless of his intent, his
comments, to me, sound combative and suggest guide dogs are not an
efficient method.

Anyway, as you say in your post, we should all be allowed to choose what
methods and tools work best.  I think it would be nice if we stopped
making assumptions of one another especially when we question the
independence of a person.  My husband and I, being in love, often walk
hand-in-hand when out and about.  We are both blind, though he does have
some useable vision, but we both use canes.  We simply like to hold
hands, but I can't tell you how many times we have been accused of
"leading" the other around because of this.  It is sad that showing
affection to my significant other is interpreted as dependence.

Bridgit

Message: 8