[stylist] Canes and dogs

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Wed May 11 21:00:06 UTC 2011

Judith,
    I would like to respectfully disagree with some of your message. How one
handles an issue of going to someone's home is up to them. My feeling is
that, if I am invited to someone's home who knows me, that person knows I
have a guide dog. If they advise me that they are amenable to the presence
of my dog, I will make the choice based upon this fact. If, however, they
say nothing, I will not ask and will not bring my dog. I believe that doing
so puts someone on the spot and they may agree to let me bring my dog in
spite of their wishes that I not do so for fear that they may be seen as
rude. Again, this is my approach and, by no means, do I believe this is the
only way to handle it. It is my way. I am not one who believes, as I have
stated previously, that if you do not accept my dog you don't accept me!
    As to the issue of a public accommodation telling me I am not welcome
with my dog, I will offer no apology.  It is a violation of both state and
federal law to discriminate against a disabled individual accompanied by a
service dog unless the dog poses a direct threat to the health or safety of
others that cannot be eliminated by a reasonable modification of policies,
practices, and procedures or if my dog is out of control and I do not take
immediate action to correct the behavior. Period. End of Story! On this
issue I am as intolerant as I hope you would be if a restaurant told you
they did not allow Jews! I would attempt to educate them, but if they
persisted in their discrimination, they would find themselves under arrest!
In Florida, as is true in 33 other states, discrimination based upon
disability is a criminal offense!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala