[stylist] Canes and Dogs

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 23:03:37 UTC 2011

Judith,

I never said you did or did not agree with anything, I just addressed
your argument and the way it was portrayed.

You seem to be the only one pulling examples into this discussion that
fly out of left field.  Screaming bigots in Times Square, crying
children in public places and now airport security "molesting babies."
It just seems like these comments are a stretch.

Again, I guess I need to spell everything out so I'm not wrongly accused
of anything.  I'm addressing arguments you made here and not you as a
person, or what your intentions are.  I'm simply responding to your
comments and how I perceive them.

You said it is inappropriate to take a guide dog in certain situations.
I merely made a rebuttal stating that no one has a legal right to deny a
guide dog in public places.

I also tried to explain how denying a blind person access to a public
place because of a guide dog is illegal and discriminatory just like if
a person was denied access based on ethnicity.

And I said your argument, not you, your argument, paralleled those who
insist cane users can not take their canes onto a plane.  Being a cane
user yourself, I assumed you do not believe this, but based on your
argument made here, it can be said that it is the same as being denied
use of your cane.

I think a lot of misunderstandings on Stylist are because of word choice
and how tone is conveyed, but also, some of us take comments out of
context and interpret them wrongly to be personal attacks, or just
simply do not understand the argument being made.

I do not know you as a person beyond what you say on this list.  I can
respond, and react, to comments you make, but I try to not attack anyone
as an individual.  This is unfair, and knowing how it feels to be judged
without someone learning who you are, I do not like to make personal
attacks.

I did not address your personal life; I did not attack your work or
character; I did not insinuate you are close-minded and do not afford
others their opinions.  A public discussion will have agreements and
disagreements, and disagreements, even if made with passion, are not
automatic judgments on a person's character.

So please do not interpret my comments made about your argument as
personal attacks on your person.

As blind people, I think we all have been through the gambit of
scenarios with our blindness.  I've only been blind for 8 years, but
I've encountered all types of attitudes, and I have evolved myself.
None of us have a patent on dealing with perceptions and attitudes
towards blindness.  We are in it together.

And of course we are not only blind people.  We deal with perceptions
about a plethora of things like gender, religion and race.  I always say
that as a woman, we always end up at the bottom of the barrel regardless
of disability or race.  Having something else like blindness just adds
another level to our struggle as females to receive equal respect in
this world.  As a girl, I'm perceived as more vulnerable especially
since I'm also blind.  The attitudes I get are often different than what
my husband gets as a blind male.

So we all understand the struggle for acceptance and equality on some
level.  I enjoy these discussions, and it is nice to learn about things
unfamiliar.  When we allow our personal feelings to direct comments
towards others on a personal level, we cross over into an inappropriate
defense.

I also think using far-out examples takes the discussion down a bizarre
alley that begins to take us off course.  Although, I like it when we
think outside the box.  *grin*

Bridgit

Message: 11