[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 85, Issue 13

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 23:01:01 UTC 2011

Hi friends,

Bridgid, I agree wholeheartedly with your post dated Monday, May 09,
2011 3:50 PM. Very well said.

Donna, I can think of two general ways to handle fiction dealing with
canes vs. dogs, a dramatic handling in which there is some sort of
actual conflict or a lighter, perhaps mildly comic approach involving
more of a friendly rivalry between the two protagonists. In either case,
the "conflict" could be resolved when the two are forced to cooperate to
get out of some jam, demonstrating conclusively that each method is
valuable and valid.

You could also slant it, perhaps showing the cane user as intolerant. In
this case, the dog user would save the day. Or, slant it the other way,
with the dog user the intolerant party and the cane user saving the day.
I would personally prefer to avoid both these extremes and stick to the
balanced approach wherein both protagonists learn from and cooperate
with one another. If I were writing the story, I'd probably work in a
romantic element, but that's just me. Having no experience with either
cane or dog travel, though, I am not qualified to write the story, so
must leave it to others.

Marion, in your post dated Thu, 12 May 2011 08:53:55 --0400 you say,
"Discrimination, no matter what the reason, is offensive and founded in
ignorance." This is absolutely true. I would add my personal belief that
it is also founded in fear, the fear of a person who is different from
oneself. But, whatever its basis, discrimination hurts everyone, the one
discriminated against most obviously, but also the one doing the
discriminating and society at large. So, it is not merely in our own
self-interest, as you say, to educate when possible and litigate when
necessary, it is in the interest of bettering the society we live in,
improving it for everyone.

Judith, in your post dated Thu, 12 May 2011 09:35:54 --0400 you say,
"Just keep in mind that the law might read one thing but if a person is
ignorant of the law it doesn't matter." Practically speaking, this is
sometimes true, unfortunately. But it is also true that ignorance of the
law is no excuse, no defense before the law. So, for instance, Marion
was able to take the cab driver to court and win even though the man
didn't know what he was doing was illegal.

Yes, to get through life we have to accept a certain amount of (pardon
my French) bullshit, because we're disabled and in the case of you and
me because we're women. Sometimes it's easier just to take it and go on.
But if we don't know our rights and sometimes assert them vigorously,
then we end up hurting both ourselves and society. We can't live without
a consensus about what behavior is acceptable. We, as members of
society, get a voice in the forming of that consensus. And just as you
wouldn't stand for being discriminated against or mistreated because
you're Jewish and I wouldn't stand for it because I'm Catholic and
neither of us would stand for discrimination on account of our gender,
just so we have to see discrimination on the basis of our disabilities
as just that, discrimination on a par with gender or race or age or any
other discrimination.

Sometimes there's nothing we can do about it. Sometimes the
discriminator is simply stupid and refuses to accept commonsense, like
the receptionist in your example. No amount of reasoning or shouting was
going to change her preconceptions. But simply dismissing her as stupid
effectively excuses and condones her behavior. When you got inside, did
you mention the receptionist's behavior to the nurse and then to the
doctor, saying that besides being insensitive, embarrassing and
offensive, it was also possibly illegal? Maybe that doesn't seem like
much, and maybe nothing would have come of it, but it is action,
education as Marion might say, a nonviolent, non-aggressive action that
benefits everybody.

Please understand. I'm not picking on you particularly! I know that you
understand what everyone is saying and that you are merely pointing out
some of the difficult, unpleasant realities of life. I have encountered
those realities too and know how distressing and sometimes crushing they
can be. I'm simply saying that even when there's nothing we can actually
do in a given situation, to change a person's attitude or behavior for
instance, that doesn't mean that within ourselves we have to accept and
resign ourselves to it. Yes, there are an awful lot of stupid, ignorant
people out there. And they're going to say and do stupid, ignorant
things. But accepting them for what they are isn't going to solve
anyone's problems. Calling the idiot on his behavior, as you tried to
do, informing h is superiors and coworkers, telling everyone you can
think of to tell about it, especially people who are likely to come into
contact with him, these are all simple ways of affirming that he is
wrong and his ignorance doesn't diminish you in any way; rather, it
diminishes him.

Donna, who brushed her teeth for her? Presumably, the lady is not a
paraplegic or double amputee? I hope she found another dentist pronto!
For myself, I would have punched the bastard's lights out! Hard to
believe anyone that stupid could have graduated from junior high, much
less advanced training like dentistry school.

Kerry