[stylist] Ah, the imperfections of Spell Check

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon May 16 17:45:55 UTC 2011

Hi Friends,

You've probably heard me say many times that Spell Check can't be trusted. I
swear I'm going to  do an article about it sometime, but meanwhile, here's
an amusing example I found today, as I was Spell-Checking my book. This is
the sentence as I had it, and as it remains:

Block quote

The children were to write lines about Curly Connor's other colors.

Block quote end

Here's what MS Spell Check suggested:

Block quote

The children were to write lines about Curly Connor are other colors.

Block quote end

A classic case of Word's inability to distinguish between possessives and
contractions.

Donna

=======
http://www.pctools.com/