[stylist] Desperate style/grammar/punctuation question

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon May 16 21:28:45 UTC 2011

Hi Friends,

OK, I'm stumped. I'm sure I'm doing this wrong, but can't find an
appropriate commentary on it.

If you are quoting someone who is spelling a word, how is that written?  For
the moment, I'm doing it like this:

"he spelled dog 'd-a-u-g.'"

I'm using an apostrophe as an inner quote here and the hyphen to separate
the letters, but I don't have them italicized or anything. I think I've read
that writing letters of the alphabet should be either italicized or placed
in quotes and that plurals of a letter -- like straight "A"s -- should not
use an apostrophe, but should have the letter in italics or quotes and the s
in regular font.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Donna

=======
http://www.pctools.com/