[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 85, Issue 20

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 20:19:40 UTC 2011

Hi friends,

Donna, oh, I get it. Spell/grammar check thought "Connor's" was a
contraction for "Connor is" and decided it really should be "Connor
are," presumably based on the plural, "colors." I hate it when grammar
check takes it upon itself to decide that I really meant plural when in
fact I meant singular. But your example definitely takes the biscuit.
Grammar check has never done anything quite that egregious to me.

Judith, Alice Tully Hall? That is very impressive indeed!

Barbara, I agree with Donna. But there's some very nice tactile imagery
as well. I also like the repetition and juxtaposition of lines.

Judith, when you say, "Is it true?" do you mean "Is the poem based on a
real life experience?" The answer to that question is either yes or no
and only Barbara can give it.

But to ask if a poem is true, that's something else again. A poem being
true has nothing to do with fidelity to mundane facts. Many, many years
ago I read an article dealing with this question in The Writer. In the
article, the poet said that, for instance in the real life incident
there might have been a couch but for purposes of the poem, he might
change it to a blue chair. This change doesn't make the poem untrue. A
poem, after all, is not a police report. What makes a poem true or not
is the emotions, the feelings and situations being expressed. I think
Barbara does that, whether the actual incident happened exactly the way
she has written it or not.

I'm not expressing myself well. Hope you get what I'm trying to convey.

Kerry