[stylist] Style question

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon May 23 14:09:57 UTC 2011

Hi  Friends,

Here's a question that is troubling me which involves what I think is a
difference between writing for news outlets and writing fiction. It's about
time and mentioning it in conversation. Would a character say .?

1. "I'll see you at ten."

Or

2. "I'll see you at 10."

In other words, would you use the numerals or spell it out? And would it
make any difference if you included "o'clock?" My understanding of AP style
is that you use numerals if it's over 10 and always for times. I was taught
to spell out numbers in fiction unless they are bigger than two words, and
I'd be inclined to write out "ten o'clock," but I need some clarification as
to whether this is still OK.

Thanks,

Donna

=======