[stylist] poems of controversial content

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Mon May 30 22:34:41 UTC 2011

Barbara,
You have picked two of the most difficult forms of poetry when it comes to
lines flowing easily from one to the next.
No poem is "no good" if it honestly portrays a depth of feeling which yours
do.  I would critique it as an early  draft that might be improved.  You
appear to have followed the format  faithfully. The only suggestions I might
make are that the length of the lines might be made to contain a similar
number of syllables and have a bit more rhythmic accent to them. This is not
a requirement  for a sestina, however. It might give a more poetic feel to
it.  As a blind person, with JAWS reading it, it might help me follow it
better.
I have a superb article on writing sestinas from The Writer's Magazine which
I scanned into a file, "Poet to Poet." If you would like me to send it, I
will copy and paste it to you. I have the same problem that things do not
always come out with the same format when I do this (word) but as my own
computer will not open attachments I hesitate to use that way to send things
on.
A short title could be "No Return."
Jacqueline Williams