[stylist] Vietnam Memorial: Teh Wall rewrite

Brad Dunse' lists at braddunsemusic.com
Wed Nov 2 02:19:37 UTC 2011

In case anyone is interested in the re-rite, I
took the advice of removing some redundancy, some
extraneous detail maybe???  many of the I's and
me's, which I love that process in re-writing as
it always brings more forward movement and better
flow,  besides I know a national writer with,
dare I say what many know, an ego the size of
Texas that fills his newsletters with them and it
bugs the snot out of me :). At any rate, here it is for what it's worth.

Non-fiction, war song related,  G rated piece.

Vietnam Memorial Wall

Canvas bags draping slumped shoulders, buckles
digging into tired muscles, nervous fingers
losing their sweaty grip every tenth step, I
huffed my gear through the crowds of soldiers.
Spotting a slightly wooded area to escape the
baking sun, the bags almost magnetically pulled
themselves towards cover; reaching it they slid
off the shoulders with a sigh through puffed cheeks.

Rubbing the burn from sore neck muscles,
stretching out the back, and taking in the action
all around; I wondered what the day might look
like in hindsight, and which one of the souls out
there might be a new found friend by day’s end.

A bit nervous of what to expect amid the battle
experienced soldiers out there, wonderment gave
way to doubt as to whether the ability to even
identify with what they have seen allows for friendship.

Finally, two gents approached asking if I was who
I was. Confirming it with handshakes, we began
chatting as bags were opened and gear pulled out.
Opening the case and sitting on a stool, I began to fiddle around on my guitar.

No, we weren’t killing time prior to reporting
for duty in a US military base in Vietnam, we
arrived at the State Capitol grounds in St. Paul,
Minnesota; at a kickoff event the governor of
Minnesota declared as Vietnam Day.

So why was I there? It wasn’t for doing a tour of
duty in Vietnam; I was born about a decade and a
half too late for that. Besides age being a
factor, though I probably didn’t know it at
18-years old, there was a hereditary disease
slowly scattering throughout my retinas affecting
peripheral and night vision; and very likely it
would have pulled a 4F medical discharge anyway.
If that wouldn’t have prevented being shipped
out, eventually from mere survival of the
fittest, some Asian would have shipped me back in
a box, carving my name in the Memorial Wall with
the business end of his weapon.

I was at the Vietnam Day event by invitation from
a grass roots effort, to come and play some
music. Sort of a 1960’s protest style thing, only
we weren’t protesting, we were joining the
proclamation and recognition of the brave men and women who served in Vietnam.

A compilation CD of Vietnam songs had recently
been released, designed to help heal emotional
wounds and not let the world forget what
suffering went on back then; and a song I
co-wrote with two other writers (Mitch Townley
and Judy Gorman King), was picked as the featured
song for the CD. The song is entitled, “The Wall.”

Once the gear was set up out on the large grounds
of the Capitol, we started playing. We played for
children, fellow musicians, curious event
attendees, friends and families of soldiers who
stopped to listen, and then they came.

Mike, one of the gentlemen who gave the invite,
rounded the corner with a group of Viet Vets. As
they approached, battle earned metals clinked on
silver haired gents as they jokingly milled about
asking if I knew any Hank Williams; and then Mike
said, “Brad, why don’t you play your song for these gentlemen?”

I will tell you, having played for many people at
all kinds of gigs throughout the years, nerves
had never been tested in this way before. Staring
out with what vision was musterable, looking at
this group of amazing souls standing before me
who­all but a handful of decades ago were scared,
brave young men watching their buddies tore apart
right next to them in fox holes, on the battle
field, and in transport jeeps­facing unknown
emotional battles of uncertainty whether the
local people there approaching them, men, women
or children all equal in ability; were allies of
safety, or enemies about to cut them down.
Miraculously, here they were standing anxiously,
staring at me expectantly, wanting to hear the
song that was written just for them; and me
desperately hoping we had gotten what they felt inside, right.

Swallowing hard and slow, raking a few strums on
the guitar to get emotionally anchored, I started to sing:

When you were searching for my name today

I saw you standing there

Man you look different

With that silver in your hair

Me, I haven’t changed a bit

Still all of twenty-one

That’s the thing about us spirits

We’re forever young

At the wall
, here at the wall

Mid-way through the song with quivering lips and
doubts I could even make it all the way through
without choking up, I began to feel a reverence
for these men stronger than ever before; men who
endured not only a very different war out on the
battlefield and in the jungle, but also the
unexpected one of patriotic betrayal soon after
the planes wheels screeched the tarmac back home.

I don’t think one strand of hair laid flat the
entire length of the song but I did make it
through to the end. When I finished, a nervous
silence loomed for a second or two; wondering to
myself, “Brad? What did you just do? You had
better not offended them assuming you know what
they feel inside.” The silence stood for a few
seconds more and I was immediately swallowed up
with soldiers shaking my hand 60’s style, giving
pats on the back, and profusely giving thanks for
writing the song. We snapped a quick picture with
them, all the while me thanking them for their
service, and that it was only a shame that the
song had need to be written in the first place.
That was one of the, if not the, most special experiences I’d ever had playing.

Prior to “The Wall” being written, I’d thought
pretty heavy on writing a song about Vietnam.
Considering it further, it seemed an obvious
decision to write one dealing with the wall,
maybe the Traveling Wall? Going back up on the
National Memorial website, I spent hours up there
reading profile entries that folks left for their
loved ones. There were old goodbyes and present
tense conversations: words from old high school
buddies, family members keeping up a vigil,
neighborhood friends who popped in after thinking
about them, school teachers who wrote shortly
after the news, and of course those uniquely
bonded souls who served with them in the war
; excuse me
, “police action.”

Reading the entries was addictive, and more
gripping than a Friday night suspense flick.
Hopping up on the site before dinner, I didn’t
pull away from the computer until the morning sun
popped up. After spending the night reading
droves of profiles of 21-year olds who never came
back, the desire to write a song about Vietnam
and the wall was there now more than ever.

As strong a desire it was to write a Vietnam wall
song, I hadn’t told anyone of the plan. The goal
was to have a solo write, so the idea never left
the writing room. After a week and a half of
knocking around some ideas and not really
settling on any particular idea, an email came
through from a songwriting buddy of mine. He said
he ran into a poet at a veteran’s event in
Nashville, got permission to use the poem as
foundation for a lyric, and wanted to know if I wanted in on the song.

Stunned at the timing of this opportunity, I
naturally agreed. A few days later we came out
with our song entitled, “The Wall”.

I often wonder, after nearly two weeks of milling
it around, surfing the web, staying up all night
mesmerized by what I was reading, trying to pour
my soul into the boots of those kids and their
surviving families, not saying anything to anyone
about my desire to write such a song about the
Vietnam Wall, and then out of the blue to be
approached with this opportunity? ­I don’t
know­is that just a simple coincidence? Or could
there have been more to it than that?

The Wall has been played at a variety of places
ranging from major commercial country radio, to
web stations, to live performances at local
memorial ceremonies, to my own gigs; and I am
very humbled it will be performed by a youth band
raising brows up and down the east coast, as they
play it as part of their invitation to perform at
the National Memorial event in Washington DC this Veterans Day on November 11.

Hear the song in it’s entirety and read the
lyrics at:
<http://www.braddunsemusic.com/music-45.html>http://www.braddunsemusic.com/music-45.html

Brad Dunse

"Instead of waiting out the storm, learn to dance in the rain." --Unknown

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

http://www.facebook.com/braddunse

http://www.twitter.com/braddunse