[stylist] News release feedback

Brad Dunse' lists at braddunsemusic.com
Thu Nov 10 17:08:40 UTC 2011

Thanks for the tips. Seem like common sense. I
used one of your's as a template :). It was kind
of a rush/practice. hopefully improvement comes
with experience and taking a bit more time :). Thanks.

Brad

On 11/10/2011  10:41 AM Bridgit Pollpeter said...
>First, when submitting a news release to publications, it's best to send
>directly to a specific person. When sent to a news room or some vague,
>public email, releases tend to be sifted through, and if a name, or
>group, is not recognizeable, it's not considered. Research specific
>editors and writers you think my find the story interesting.
>
>Second, any news release should be staggered so that the immediate story
>is the first thing covered before any other info is mentioned. With
>this, your lead needs to be stronger and spotlight exactly why you're
>advertising this which is the event itself. The following para should
>mention the date, time and location, and if any cost is involved,  and
>then your following paras can build more upon the event and its
>importance.
>
>I don't have much time to get into structure, but try to keep a release
>to two pages or less, follow AP Style, which I know isn't the only
>accepted style, but I was instructed to do this and it makes sense to
>me, and make sure grammar and formatting are proper and consistent.
>Don't include info that's not immediately related to the event/activity,
>use hyperlinks so editors/writers can easily access info and if a
>group/organization is hosting it, don't include a ton of stuff on the
>group except what is directly related to the event, instead include a
>boiler plate at the end of the release which is a brief over-view of a
>group and what it does, usually no more than a single para with three to
>four sentences. Oh, also, on a personal note, watch for placement of
>commas, smile.
>
>Sincerely,
>Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
>Read my blog at:
>http://blogs.livewellnebraska.com/author/bpollpeter/
>
>"History is not what happened; history is what was written down."
>The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 13:08:52 -0600
>From: Brad Dunse' <lists at braddunsemusic.com>
>Subject: [stylist] News release feedback
>
>Feedback please. Also, since I'd never submitted
>a news release to a newspaper, what department is
>"the" one to get it in in a relatively short
>notice? Thanks in advance. I'm not sure which
>number he might want so I omitted it for the time being.
>

>Minnesota Association of Songwriters
>Wayne Hamilton
>St. Paul, MN <mailto:info at mnsongwriters.org>info at mnsongwriters.org
>
>For Immediate Release
>Contact:
>Wayne Hamilton
>Minnesota Association of Songwriters
><mailto:info at mnsongwriters.org>info at mnsongwriters.org
>
>Minnesota Association of Songwriters Hosts
>Songwriting Workshop of Berklee School of Music Professor Pat Pattison
>
>St. Paul, Minn, Nov 12, 2011?Minnesota
>Association of Songwriters Educates songwriters
>with its fourth professional workshop in 2011 on Saturday, November 12.

> [...]

Brad Dunse

"Birth
 learn
 intern
 earn
 lectern
 sojourn
 adjourn

Enjoy the ride, its shorter than you think." --Capt'n Frank

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

http://www.facebook.com/braddunse

http://www.twitter.com/braddunse