[stylist] Blank verse poem

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 16 18:22:12 UTC 2011

Hey,

Here's a blank verse poem I wrote a couple of years ago. This is the
first time I've shared my poetry outside a classroom. It's not great,
but I like working, and experimenting, with words and structure.

Once you were my baby sister so full of life.
A blessing at Christmas so we named you after joy.
So pink and precious, Rachel suited you.  Tiny hands,
chubby cheeks, bright blue eyes, I wondered who
you would be.  I grew up, and forgot about you.

My angst, my pain, my life wrapped me in its selfish folds.
When I realized you again you were on the brink
of womanhood.  A beautiful girl who seemed self possessed.
I should have known better, but I played the game

like everyone else.  Confidence stands in for fear
and self-inflicted criticism.  Your heart
was wound up in layers of armor.
A fragile heart was splintered and torn.  Just like me
you looked for identity in a boy.
I should have seen, I should have guessed.  The same blood

trickled through our veins.  No longer a baby,
you faced the world with demons intact.  Solace
was an escape.  I know the pattern all too well.
The chance to love seeps in our pores.  No one told you
to love yourself.  No one praised your independence.
No one pushed you to capture dreams.  Least of all me.

You tied yourself too soon.  You raced to a dream
ten years too soon.  My baby sister now called mother
now called Mrs.  I see you grow quiet, I see you
shrink in.  I am sorry for leaving you behind.
I am sorry your strength drained before you reached the end.
Still precious, still pink, your legacy continues
with the essence of the girl named after joy.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan