[stylist] Blank verse poem

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Wed Nov 23 11:50:53 UTC 2011

Hi Jacky,
Thanks. This is great stuff.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jacqueline Williams
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:58 PM
To: 'Writer's Division Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [stylist] Blank verse poem

Jim,
I went to my poetry group this morning and I made sure it was alright with
Jeanne Resnick to keep her clever quatrains at the end of this for
references. She is a ninety-two year-old woman who is perhaps our most
professional poet in the group. She taught  poetry at the university level
for many years back east.
I also asked for help in my last statement at the end of my e-mail. As a
teacher with an uncle who taught chemistry and would give an automatic A to
any student for that day if the student caught him in a mistake. So far,
none of you has caught it, so here it is:
Note that this last one is iambic quatrain which is eight syllables, or four
feet, ..."
First off, a quatrain is a stanza or more than one stanza, each having four
rhymed lines. It can have the rhyming pattern of: A B A B or A B C B. The
lines may have  any number of feet, and may be uneven. For instance, Emily
Dickenson's lines usually had the first line containing four feet (eight
syllables) and the second three feet, six syllables.

Now the tricky part.
Iambic Hexometer has 6 feet or 12 syllables.
Iambic pentameter has 5 feet (iambs) or 10 syllables.
An iambic tetrameter has four feet, or eight syllables. That is what I
mistakenly called an iambic quatrain.
The iambic triameter has three feet or six syllables,
A diameter has two feet or four syllables, and
The monometer has one foot or two syllables.

Additionally I checked on another definition of Blank Verse. Though Wickie
is a good source for poetic information, it is not the horse's mouth.
According to Lewis Turco, in his, "The Book of Forms," first edition 1968,
"the horse's mouth",
Here is the definition.

BLANK VERSE
Accentual-syllabic.
Strictly  speaking, blank verse is a LINE of any unrhymed, metered verse.
However, it is more commonly understood to mean Unrhymed iambic pentameter
verse. Note that free verse is not blank verse; blank verse is metered, free
verse is not. (He has put "metered" and other phrases in italics but my
computer wil not do this at the moment.)

There is always a solution. If you are entering a good poem in a contest, do
not pick a category that specifies blank verse or another form contest.
There are many. I have been trying to write a winning Ghazal for several
years. I have had two of them published. However they did not meet the
strict guidelines, so I was careful not to call them Ghazals. One I called a
Ghazal variation, and it was only because they required a name for the
"traditional" form. I guess that covered the situation. Another ploy is to
call yourself a "New Formalist", meaning you have broken the form. But
before you can ever get away with this they must know that you really know
how you are breaking the form.

I hope this helps you in building your poetic book of information.
Incidentally, free verse, though it has no strict form, the judges look for
a certain internal rhythm. Just start listening to all kinds of poetry and
you will be surprised how things begin to jell.

Jackie