[stylist] Practicing with "voices"

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Sun Oct 2 04:27:06 UTC 2011

I can't resist writing a poem about all of the discussion topics.
Hope you like it.
Jacqueline Williams

"Write a Poem in the Voice of a Well-known Poet."

I did not write a poem this week,
I felt so darkly blue.
I noted dreams, and tried to tweak
some rhymes that sounded true.

Alas, I cooked and ate and slept
awaiting inspiration.
I read Babette, Millay, then wept-
no ease from my frustration.

I searched old verse forms that survive,
with iambs, trochees, dactyls.
Oh, please, just make me come alive-
not cut up into fractals.

Well, there I go, again, you know.