[stylist] off-topic, final circadian post

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Mon Oct 3 10:54:06 UTC 2011

Hi,
The only thing I like about the book Seven Habits For Highly Successful People, or whatever it's called,  is this part in the introduction, when it says that between what happens to us and how we react to it is this little pause where we get to choose how we react. I think that the more we are educated about this little space, the more we will ask ourselves why we make the choices we make.

The above leads me to think that the blind people who participate in the flawed studies may not have questioned why they participated. Why they may not have questioned is another matter.

I feel that we don't have enough information to call them stupid, or make judgments about why they participated. Just as we educate sighted people about blindness, we should educate one another about blindness, and how we have choices. We should be gentle with some, and harsh with others: whatever works.

I hope I'm offending no-one, here, but I happen to have some faith in God, so my view of what we call self-esteem comes from the idea that God, who is outside of us, made us perfect, and from that idea, I view self-esteem as something that derives from fact, rather than emotion. Emotion plays a huge part in it, but when we realize, according to my belief system, that our self-esteem depends on fact, rather than how we feel about ourselves, that helps us break the up and down cycle and the heavy toll emotions can play in our quest to have good self-esteem.

I'm sure I could have said that better, but then that's why I'm taking the writing course. <grin>

Thanks.

Jim