[stylist] Remembering dreams

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Mon Oct 3 17:52:13 UTC 2011

Jim,
I appreciate your comments. For the writing to be healing for me, I used two
strategies. A journal was too personal. That is when I decided to learn the
craft of poetry-to put something between myself and the events. It required
me to concentrate on something additionally, besides myself. Then as I
wrote, very badly at first, I used third person, referring to myself as
"she." That gave even more distance and objectivity. Finally, after 16
years, I can write a first person account of things, use prose, and instead
of journaling, I use a "commonplace" folder where I enter all wonderful
thoughts, either my own or others that I come across. It is like planting
seeds.
For yourself, a journal in any format my provide just what is needed to
heal. I seemed to have to intellectualize everything.
I admire your strategies to heal. And so you will.
Jacqueline Williams