[stylist] Off-topic: Training and blindness

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 6 20:00:17 UTC 2011

Great post. That is what I said in similar words. Rehab agencies have staff
that come to client's homes to teach skills.
There are state centers for the blind and nonprofits providing service.
However, seniors get less service due to budget cuts in rehab agencies; not
fair because they are a growing population with vision loss such as age
related macular degeneration.

Lighthouses for the blind  are another source of training. I know that near
me that the columbia lighthouse for the blind has programs for seniors and
people of all ages.

Jacqueline, if you feel you need more training I also encourage you to ask
your state agency for the blind to see what they can provide.
But IMO some tasks that you mention like reading mail are best accomplished
with a reader; you already have that with hired assistance. you could scan
mail if you have a scanner, but a reader can skim it with you and you can
easily determine what is junk mail and real decent mail to keep.
There's nothing wrong with sighted assistance provided that you are in
control of the situation.

Ashley