[stylist] on writing from the blind perspective

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Tue Oct 11 21:26:33 UTC 2011

Hi Chris and all,
This is a very interesting perspective which caught my attention
because I am in a college Creative Nonfiction class where my
professor said one of my first writing assignments read like a
procedure manual.
I agree that our writing needs to appeal to sighted people
because they are the book buyers, and the majority of the
population for that matter.  But I love the advice this teacher
gave me.
After class, she talked with me one-on-one and I told her I know
my writing would be better with physical descriptions and scenes,
but had no idea how to do this as a totally blind person and
feared that any attempts would sound cheesy and forced rather
than seamless and natural.  She told me she understood this, but
said to try capitalizing on the senses I have.  What did a
particular event sound like or feel like? Since then, my writing
has gotten much better.
So I think I would argue that yes, we do need to appeal to
sighted people with physical description and scenes.  But I
disagree with the fact that we need to force ourselves to do
something that cannot come naturally to us, at least those of us
who have been blind our whole lives, by adding physical
description related to sight because with our other senses, we
can write scenes and incorporate physical description that is
just as beautiful.
I apologize if I sound like an arrogant college kid who thinks
she knows everything, and I suppose my opinion is based on the
fact that all of my writing experience has been with short
stories and personal essays which don't have to go as indepth as
350 page novels.  So feel free to challenge me.  These are just
my opinions at my stage of life as a writer.
Allison Nastoff