[stylist] Stephen King Fans

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Sun Oct 16 21:32:28 UTC 2011

Brenda, Brad, and Bridget,
How about an alliteration with Br words?
The  purpose of this e-mail is to comment on critique styles, and how those
might affect a beginning writer. I would have thought that Brad's might
inspire more confidence in continuing the effort, dealing more with thoughts
and structure, and Bridget's might be compared more to a teacher stressing
accuracy. She will correct grammar, punctuation, capitalization and word
choice  using a red pencil.
I was wrong. Brenda, you utilized both critique's to there ultimate and came
up with an improved piece. It reminds me of my poetry critiquing class. It
is down to eight people, and I can go around the table and know with
absolutely surety which one will concentrate on word choice, which one,
punctuation, and so forth. All are essential as long as the positive
comments are emphasized first.
I remember when I started, I felt that many did not recognize my talent.
Time surely fixed that as I learned how little I knew about poetry. Now, I
worry that someone hated my piece if he or she wrote nothing and therefore
said nothing. I love critical looks at a piece. It engages the mind.
One question for you Bridget. How can you critique so effectively with the
detail you do unless your JAWS is set to read absolutely every character.
That would slow you down a great deal in reading anything. On the other
hand, to read a piece just one word and punctuation mark at a time looking
for errors, would be equally time consuming.
With great respect for all those who give their valuable time to critique
and give feedback on the results of that. Truly remarkable.
Jackie