[stylist] Off-topic: Has anyone ever charged for speaking engagements?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:52:05 UTC 2011

Hello Stylist,

I have a question. I've recently started booking speaking engagements. A
couple of places have compensated me for my services. Until last
Thursday, I was given a dollar amount by a group/organization that they
typically give to speakers. I was not asked about a fee. Last Thursday,
though, I spoke at a local community college and was asked what my
speaking fee is. I was not sure how to answer this. I had to be honest
and state that though I have experience speaking, I've only recently
been compensated for my services. She plans to send me a check with a
standard amount the college pays speakers, and she was a very nice lady
so I suspect she'll be fair.

Nonetheless, since I seem to be booking more engagements, I should set a
fee, but have no clue what is appropriate. Has, or does, anyone have
experience with this? I'm no celebrity so I can't ask for exorbitant
amounts, but I want to be fair to myself as well. I thought a sliding
scale of sorts would be appropriate, but I still don't know what a good
starting point is. I'd welcome any suggestions and advice. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:
 <http://blogs.livewellnebraska.com/author/bpollpeter/>