[stylist] Critiquing and editing with JAWS

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 23:55:30 UTC 2011

Jackie,

Thank you. I try to be helpful and constructive. Just as I want to be
the best writer I can be; so I want the same for others.

I have my bachelors in fine arts in creative writing from the University
of Nebraska Omaha, which is one of the few undergrad programs in the
country offering a creative writing programs in the fine arts department
revolving around the workshop environment.

Iowa has the first writing MA in the country, and continues to be one
of, if not thee, best writing grad program. I actually applied to Iowa,
along with a couple of other schools, for grad programs in writing. I
was accepted to the creative nonfiction MA program, but it's a
residential program, and due to some things, I can't leave Omaha
currently. It's an honor, but my husband gets to pursue grad school
right now, and we have a few reasons keeping us in Omaha for now.

I think it's important for any writer to focus on details. Despite a
disability, you do disservice to yourself, and others, when expectations
are not high, or present at all. My instructors never expected less of
me than my peers, and I wanted to be corrected especially when it came
to grammar and structure.

While in school, the reason we weren't allowed to speak during a
critique of our manuscript was because the point is to learn how others
perceive your work, and to learn what readers thought worked and what
didn't. If readers don't get something or like it, well that holds a lot
of weight. I once turned in this fiction piece and was rather proud of
it, but I had one of the worse workshops of my life. In fact, it was
after this workshop I decided to switch to creative nonfiction. Anyway,
classmates didn't understand the point of the story, and they thought
the characters were flat. I like the story, still do, but at the end of
the day, if readers don't respond, it's back to the drawing board. Our
ideas and thoughts are not the focus of these workshops which is why we
can't speak up and defend or explain. Our part is to listen and learn
when our work is being critiqued so we can revise as best we can.

I learned a lot in a very tough environment, and I survived. Smile. I
hope to bring the lessons I learned to others, except perhaps with a bit
more compassion and kindness. We're constantly growing as writers, and
our collective experiences provide a lot with such diverse backgrounds.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan